Waterfall Safety Tips
1. Stay on developed trails and don’t stray from observation decks and platforms.
2. Follow instructions posted at all waterfalls and trails.
3. Watch your footing. Dry rocks can be just as slippery as wet ones, especially those covered with algae.
4. The top of any waterfall is the most dangerous. Do not lean over a ledge at the top of a falls.
5. Watch children carefully. Children should always be under the immediate supervision of adults when visiting any falls. Pets should also be supervised. They can easily underestimate the slickness of rocks and the flow of water.
6. Be especially careful when you are taking photographs. Many times, photographers become more focused on taking a photo rather than securing their footing. Make sure you are in a safe, solid location before taking photographs.
7. To insure your safety on the rocks and trails, never visit waterfalls or hike alone.
8. Bring your cell phone in case you need to make a call for assistance.