Lake Jocassee – Salem, SC
Open For the Season!
Lake Jocassee is a beautiful southern lake known for its undeveloped shoreline and clean water. The lake is bordered by glorious green forests and offers refreshing outdoor pursuits that you can enjoy all summer long. No matter how hot it gets, you can beat the heat in the clear, cool lake. Let the kids swim at the sandy beach. Rent stand up paddleboards, flatwater kayaks, life jackets, or water gear. Love to fish? Fishing guides can take you to the best fishing spots. The lake’s visibility makes it popular for scuba diving, and several companies offer Jocassee dive trips.
Not the type to get wet? Don’t sweat it. Go hike in the shady woods along the Oconee Bells Nature Trail, Bear Cove Trail, or access the Foothills Trail. Or don’t do anything at all. Just sit, relax, and enjoy being at Lake Jocassee.
- Lake Jocassee is only accessible from inside Devils Fork State Park.
- Park Hours (as of May 1, 2020)
- Sunday – Thursday 7 am to 7 pm
- Friday & Saturday 7 am to 8 pm
- Park admission required.
- Adults $5/Seniors $3.25 (age 65 & older)/Children $3 (ages 6-15)/Under 5 free
- A limited number of parking spots mean this place fills up early! Get there early (by 9:30 am) for the best chance of parking.
- Vehicle capacity (as of May 1, 2020): 172 trailers, 115 single cars
- You’ll be a good ways out.
- If you plan to stay at the park all day, pack a picnic lunch, or purchase snacks from the park store.
Lake Jocassee is popular with visitors traveling from these cities
- From Greenville, SC: 1 hour 20 minutes
- From Columbia, SC: 3 hours
- From Charlotte, NC: 3 hours
- From Atlanta, GA: 3 hours
- From Charleston, SC: 4 hours 30 minutes
- From Raleigh-Durham, NC: 5 hours
You can find neat places to stay, but keep in mind: the area is not saturated with hotels or tourist attractions, which is a good thing! Overnight accommodations typically book months out, but with tourism just getting going for the 2020 season, you’ll likely find more availability than usual.
The closest options are located within Devils Fork State Park (rental villas, RV and campsites). Private RV sites and dozens of vacation rental homes are located near the lake (on Airbnb or VRBO search “Salem, SC”).