440-acre property for active pursuits
Stumphouse Park includes: Stumphouse Tunnel, Issaqueena Falls, the Stumphouse Passage of the Palmetto Trail, the Blue Ridge Railroad hiking trail, and Stumphouse Mountain Bike Park.
Stumphouse Park FAQs:
- Stumphouse Park borders Sumter National Forest in the Andrew Pickens Ranger District.
- Park Entrance Fee is $5 per vehicle.
FREE for City of Walhalla Residents. Annual Passes can be purchased at Walhalla City Hall. $25 Annual Pass (Oconee County Residents), $35 Annual Pass (Non-Oconee County Residents)
- Stumphouse Park is maintained by the City of Walhalla.
- Call (864) 638-4343 option 5 to find out if the park is open or closed.
- The park has picnic tables and restrooms.
- A large covered event pavilion is available to rent.
Contact Walhalla City Hall for pavilion rental.
- Stumphouse Tunnel was dug using hand tools prior to the Civil War, but never completed. Approximately 1/4 mile of the tunnel is open to the public. The tunnel maintains a constantly cool temperature of 50 degrees year-round, which makes for an easy family-friendly hike.
- Issaqueena Falls is in the vicinity of Stumphouse Tunnel. You can walk from one to the other, but it is a bit of a distance. You may want to drive a short ways to the other parking area. To see Issaqueena Falls, it is an easy 1/4 mile walk from the parking lot to an observation deck. There is a rough trail from the lowest observation deck, but the path is quite dangerous and visitors are not encouraged to take it.
- The Stumphouse Passage of the Palmetto Trail is accessible from the center of the park and stretches over 500 miles across the state.
- The Blue Ridge Railroad hiking trail head is located at the top of Issaqueena Falls parking lot and is 2.5 miles of easy-to-moderate hiking through the forest with amazing views of the upstate.
- Yellow Branch Falls is close to Stumphouse Park. There is a parking area (no fee) on the other side of Hwy. 28. It takes approximately 45 minutes one-way to hike to Yellow Branch Falls, but it is an amazing waterfall.